Swaffield School is a CPI Accredited Training Centre for the delivery of the MAPA® (Management of Actual or Potential Aggression) Foundation Course and annual refresher courses.
We currently deliver these courses to a number of schools across the borough of Wandsworth.
What is MAPA®?
MAPA® stands for Management of Actual or Potential Aggression
What Are The Benefits Of Doing MAPA® Training?
MAPA® training is designed to equip staff with the techniques and knowledge to de-escalate and manage challenging situations to achieve successful outcomes for all involved and to support a positive and respectful environment.
Who Delivers the Training?
Training at Swaffield is delivered by an experienced member of staff who is accredited by CPI (who developed MAPA® training) and who has many years’ of practical experience both of working with children and using the techniques to effectively manage situations in the school setting.
Who Is The MAPA® Training For?
The foundation training is for members of staff who work with those who may present challenging behaviour to equip the staff with the skills to de-escalate and manage those situations.
What Is Involved In The MAPA® Foundation Course?
The course has four objectives:
- Identify behaviour that indicates an escalation toward the aggressive and violent, and take appropriate measures to avoid, decelerate and/or de-escalate crisis situations.
- Assess the level of risk associated with crisis behaviour and make appropriate decisions related to the management of such risks.
- Use suitable and acceptable physical interventions to reduce or manage risk behaviour.
- Identify the impact of crisis events and describe post-crisis responses that can be used for personal and organisational support and learning.
How Long Is The Course?
The foundation training course is delivered over two days as follows:
- Day One: 9:00am - 4:45pm – De-escalation and Disengagements
- Day Two: 9:00am - 12:45pm - Holds
What Courses Are Available?
We currently offer the MAPA® Foundation Course as well as annual refresher courses to schools across Wandsworth Borough.