My name is Liz Love and I am the Chair of Governors
here at Swaffield School.
My job is to ensure that the business of the Governing Body is conducted properly and in accordance with legal requirements. I meet regularly with the headteacher and take an active interest in what happens at Swaffield.
Contact the governors
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing via the School Office
The Governing Body is made up of governors from all walks of life and includes:
- head teacher
- elected parent governors
- elected staff governor
- local authority governor
- co-opted governors
Key Governor Information
Here is our Governance Impact Statement 2016-17 for last academic year.
Please read our latest Governor's Report to Parents (Spring Term each year).
You can read the Governors' Vision for Swaffield School here.
The Governors' Responsiblities
The Governing Body has many specific responsibilities as defined in the School Governance Regulations and laid out in the school's Delegation File. These responsibilities include:
- The responsibility for the conduct of the school
- Setting targets in standards and achievement
- Statutory responsibilities regarding Special Educational Needs & Disability
- Ensuring policies relating to the school’s operation are prepared and are reviewed regularly
- Providing information for parents
- Financial management and meeting the SFVS
- Personnel matters, including staff appointments as appropriate
- Management and maintenance of buildings
- Pupil discipline and behaviour
- Monitoring and evaluating the activities of the school
- Drawing up an Action Plan after an inspection by Ofsted and overseeing its implementation
- The Governing Body delegates all of its functions to a committee and most of the day to day decisions to the Headteacher.
You can read/download our Governors' Code of Conduct here.
Are you interested in becoming a governor?
Then contact either myself or Miss Hamilton in the first instance and we can arrange to meet for a chat. There is always a need for dedicated and committed members of the public, the local community and parents to serve as governors supporting this wonderful school that is definitely 'In a Class of its Own'.
Swaffield Board of Governors
The members of our Board of Governors are listed below.
You can find out more information about each governor including the committees they serve on, the areas for which they are link governors, terms of office and the register of business interests or relationship with staff by opening this PDF document.
If you'd prefer a Word version, you can open one here.
If you'd like to have a paper copy of this document, please email the School Office on email@example.com or call us on the number at the top of the page.
- Ms Julia Hamilton
Local Authority Governor:
- Mr Yusuf Chadun (SEND Governor) [Chair, Curriculum & Performance Committee]
- Mr Milton Cogheil
- Mr Oliver Saunders
- Mrs Sue Medhurst
- Ms Liz Love: Chair of Governors (Safeguarding)
- Mrs Leah Gwynne: Vice Chair of Governors
- Mrs Jennifer Townsend [Chair, Finance & Resources Committee]
- Mr Jonathan Fox
- Mr Jon Lane
- Mr Brendan Conway
- Ms Anna Pierssene
- Mrs Deborah Nejand
Clerk / Advisor:
- Mr Mark Suter
Operational Committees include:
- Curriculum & Performance
- Finance & Resources
Statutory Committees include:
- Performance Management
- Staff Discipline & Dismissals
- Pupil Discipline & Exclusions
- All committees report directly to the Full Governing Body.
- The Curriculum & Performance Meetings are also once a term and start at 5pm.
Details for governors and their attendance for last academic year can be read here.
Details for the current academic year (2018/2019) are shown below.
Serving on Committee
|Attendance Record 2018/19||Position of Responsibility||Link||Appointed By / Category of Governor||Term of Office Expires||Register of Business Interests or Relationship with Staff Declared|
|Liz Love||2006||F&R, C&P, Pay||3 of 3||Chair of Governors||
||Co-opted by Governing Body||27/11/2020|
|Yusuf Chadun||2016||C&P||2 of 2||Chair of C&P Committee||
|Anna Pierssene||2011||C&P||2 of 2||Deputy Head||Co-opted by Governing Body||01/06/2019|
|Debbie Nejand||N/A||C&P||2 of 2||Head of Early Years||Co-opted by Governing Body||12/07/2021|
|Jonathan Fox||2014||F&R, Pay||1 of 2||Health & Safety||Co-opted by Governing Body||15/11/2021|
|Jennifer Townsend||2014||F&R||2 of 2||Schools Financial Value Standard (SFVS)||Co-opted by Governing Body||01/12/2018|
|Leah Gwynne||2014||C&P||2 of 2||Vice Chair (elected 28.11.18)||
||Co-opted by Governing Body||27/11/2021|
|Brendan Conway||2013||C&P||1 of 2||Co-opted by Governing Body||01/03/2021||Property Development & Technology Companies|
|Sue Medhurst||2010||C&P||2 of 2||
||Staff - elected||01/03/2021|
|Jonathan Lane||2015||C&P||2 of 2||
||Co-opted by Governing Body||02/12/2019|
|Milton Cogheil||22/3/17||C&P||2 of 2||Y1 - Y3 Maths||Parent - elected||01/02/2021|
|Oli Saunders||22/3/17||F&R||2 of 2||Parent - elected||01/02/2021|
Meeting dates 2018/19*
All meetings could be subject to change but we do endeavour to keep to this format so that the committees can then feed back to the Full Governors’ meeting.
Finance & Resources Meetings are once a term and start at 6pm. There is always an extra meeting specifically to approve the budget at the end of March and there may be occasions when other meetings may need to be called depending on circumstance.
Full Governors' Meetings are usually only once a term and start at 6pm
Paperwork and agendas will be sent out prior to the meetings.
The Curriculum & Performance Committee Meetings
- Wednesday 17th October 2018 at 5pm
- Tuesday 12th February 2019 at 5pm
- Tuesday 21st May 2019 at 5pm
Finance & Resources Committee Meetings
- Wednesday 7th November 2018 at 6pm
- Tuesday 5th March 2019 at 6pm
- Tuesday 11th June 2019 at 6pm
Full Governors' Meetings
- Wednesday 28th November 2018 at 6pm
- Wednesday 20th March 2019 at 5.00pm (Safeguarding Training), FGB starts at 6pm
- Wednesday 26th June 2019 at 6pm
*All meetings could be subject to change.